Monday, November 28, 2011

The Difference between Dim Sum and Dumplings

The Difference between Dim Sum and Dumplings
I've had this question in my mind for quite a long time now and I never even bothered to look it up in Google (Google answers everything) until my colleague asked me about it.

So I looked it up and I think I kinda figured out the difference between them. From a Chinese perspective, it kind makes sense.

Dim Sum, is basically a term used to define a variety of dishes and basically a time and/or meal of the day. Dim Sum is normally prepared for family get together, where parents, grand-parents and other family members get together in a living consuming these bite sized platters along with refreshing Tea.

In my opinion, by using the Filipino concept, Dim Sum is somehow similar to that of having "Merienda" in English, snack time that occurs late afternoon or a few hours before dinner.
Dumpling on the other hand is a particular dish or cuisine of Dim Sum. Normally wrapped in dough with meat/veggie inside then steam, boiled, fried etc.

So there you have it! A simple explanation. Now I'm craving for Dim Sum!!!!! *drools

No comments:

Post a Comment